Vodafone Idea (Vi) has introduced a self-KYC (know your customer) process for users seeking a new prepaid or postpaid SIM.
The objective of this new process is to streamline the onboarding of new customers who previously had to physically visit a retail store to complete the KYC process.
Vi has aligned with the latest guidelines issued by the Department of Telecommunications (DoT) and is now providing the option of doorstep delivery for new users who wish to obtain a SIM connection.
The DoT’s recent directives mandated mobile operators to simplify the KYC process and facilitate home delivery of new connections after verifying users through self-verification using Aadhaar or other eligible documents stored in Digilocker.
Vi’s statement mentioned that its Self KYC system complies with the guidelines stipulated by the Department of Telecommunications (DoT) and
allows customers to obtain a new SIM connection from anywhere, at any time, with the additional convenience of doorstep delivery.
The initial launch of the self KYC process took place in Kolkata and Karnataka, and it will be progressively extended throughout India in the coming months.
When fully available, prepaid and postpaid customers will be able to conveniently order a new SIM online, select their preferred plan, and complete the self-KYC process from the comfort of their homes.
How to do self KYC for Vodafone connection
– In order to initiate Self-KYC to get a new connection of Vodafone Idea, you will have to visit the official website of Vi- myvi.in/
– Now click on the New Connection section and follow the steps to start the process.
– Select the desired number and plan and complete the self-KYC process.
– Notably, the process will require Aadhaar authentication from the UIDAI official website.
– To authenticate, you will need to capture a live photo and a live video of 10 seconds.
– After completing the digital authentication, place the order.
– Vi will deliver your SIM card at your step.
– However, to receive delivery, you will need to authenticate your ID by giving the OTP to the delivery executive.
Why KYC is mandatory to get new SIM
Telecom operators have made the KYC process compulsory for new connections to verify the identity and address of their customers.
This is crucial for the safety and security of both the service provider and the customer.
The KYC process also serves to prevent the misuse of telecom services and ensures that the customer is authentic and not using a false identity.
Furthermore, KYC is a critical measure in preventing fraudulent activities such as identity theft, money laundering, and terrorism financing.
Additionally, it helps telecom providers adhere to regulatory requirements and maintain precise records of their customers.