Planning for retirement is crucial, and the National Pension System (NPS) is your best ally in this journey.
Instead of fixating on how much to invest, focus on determining your retirement needs.
In today’s metro cities, a comfortable life requires around Rs 50,000 monthly, covering rent, transportation, food, beverages, and travel expenses.
If you’re 30 today and aspire to maintain a similar lifestyle after retiring at 60, you’ll need 3-4 times the current amount, which translates to approximately Rs 2 lakh per month post-retirement.
Upon retirement, you face two choices
1) Invest your entire corpus in an annuity plan and receive a pension.
2) Withdraw 60 percent of the amount and utilize the remaining 40 percent for an annuity plan, as per NPS regulations.
Let’s assume you opt for the first choice: investing the entire corpus in an annuity plan. Here’s how to calculate the required corpus and monthly investment.
Determining the Corpus
Assuming a conservative 5 percent interest rate post-retirement, you’d need an annual interest of Rs 24 lakh to sustain your Rs 2 lakh monthly requirement.
To achieve this with a 5 percent interest rate, you’ll need a corpus of approximately Rs 5 crore, which yields an annual interest of around Rs 25 lakh.
Monthly Investment for a Rs 5 Crore Corpus
If you’re currently 30 years old and aim for a Rs 5 crore corpus by retirement, consider that NPS typically offers an average interest of 10 percent.
With the power of compounding on your side, investing approximately Rs 22,150 in NPS each month for 30 years will amass roughly Rs 5 crore at a 10 percent annual interest rate.
Your total investment over these 30 years will be approximately Rs 79.74 lakh, yielding interest of approximately Rs 4.21 crore.